Brisbane: (07) 3221 4999
Gold Coast: (07) 5532 3133
24 Hour Crime Line: 0488 999 980 or 18004POTTS
Santos Place, Level 6, 32 Turbot Street,
Brisbane 4000
(07) 3221 4999
Gold Coast
44 Davenport St,
Southport 4215
(07) 5532 3133
24 Hour Crime Line
0488 999 980 or 18004POTTS







Possessing Controlled Precursors

Potts Lawyers > Criminal Law  > Commonwealth Offences > Possessing Controlled Precursors

What the law says

Sections 308.2 of the Commonwealth Criminal Code states:

(1) A person commits an offence if:

(a) the person possesses a substance; and

(b) the person intends to use any of the substance to manufacture a controlled drug;

(c) the substance is a controlled precursor; and

The fault element for paragraph (1)(c) is recklessness

What the police must prove

In order for the Police to prove their case at Court, they must prove each of the following matters beyond a reasonable doubt.

The accused

  1. possessed a substance; and
  2. A law of the Commonwealth or of a State or Territory required the possession to be authorised (however described); and
  3. The possession was not so authorised; the person is taken to have possessed the substance with the intention of using some or all of the substance to manufacture a controlled drug.

It will be necessary for the Police in every offence to prove that the accused was the person who committed the offence. Click here to learn more about identification evidence.

Maximum penalty

The Maximum penalty for the offence of Possessing Controlled Precursors is 2 years imprisonment or 400 penalty units or both.

Which court will hear the matter

This matter is Commonwealth Offence which means it is dealt with in the Supreme Court.

Possible defences

Possible defences to this offence include but are not limited to

1. The accused did not possess a substance.

2. The law of the State or Territory does not require the possession of the substance to be authorised.

The accused did not intend to use the substance to manufacture a controlled drug

Do you need legal help? Contact us now.

Contact us now

free consultation

Click-To-Call Free Consultation